Moe, for better or worse

This blog used to be called "one year in the life of a short fat runner"; then it was called "Am I a runner? you decide." I've decided running isn't the thing I need to talk about here...it'll come up for sure, but it's just one part of me, so I think I'll just call this blog: Moe, for better or worse.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

About running

Some of you have noticed...and commented on the address of my blog. "Short Fat Runner". Ok, so that was the title of this blog when I first started it...I've changed it but since a number of people have it linked, I've left the addy. As a few have pointed out, I'm not that short or fat, and it's this kind of defeatist attitude which makes me rarely call myself a runner.

Things have changed a lot for me lately with regards to running. I'm still very slow, and no matter who tells me it doesn't matter, it's about getting out there and doing it, the fact is I am truly and interminably slow. No middle of the pack for this girl. Does it matter? When, maybe, maybe not. Would I like to be faster? Yes, desperately, if only so my friends don't have to wait around for long periods of time post race for me.

However, running has gotten easier lately. I've had many more good runs than bad lately...and the bad ones have been so spectactularly awful, they can only be chalked up to many elements fighting against, certainly more than just my head failing me. I've been consistent lately, getting in my runs when I'm supposed to and getting in longer and longer distances. I've pushed myself to run faster on shorter runs, and seen results. I've actually started to think of myself as, and think like, a runner.

This holiday weekend, I challenged myself with 2 races. One a longer race for me, 4.25 miles on July 4th and the other, today, a 5K. I had different goals for each. I wanted to get through the 4.25 miles without falling apart. That was about it. I thought if I could finish in less than 12 min miles, I was doing great. If I could do it without walking...that would be a triumph.

I managed all three. I struggled a bit around 3.5 miles, but at the moment I thought for sure I would walk, a song that reminds me of a supportive friend came on my IPod and I knew he was thinking about me and I could keep running.

I was very proud of myself, even if my husband and my friends' families had to wait in the rain for a long long time for me to finish.

Today I ran a 5K. My dear friend and coach told me to "run fast". I knew what he meant and I knew I should have been capable of running a PR today judging by my best time (slooooow, 36:55) and how I've been running. I ran with my fellow Slowmen who promised to stick with me step for step.

Sadly...today was not a good day. It was hot. It was humid. I was still tired even after a good night's sleep and my legs were still weary from Friday's race. We started running...Victoria set our pace and in other circumstances, it would have been quite reasonable. But within the first mile, I was nauseous. And my legs just weren't having it. We probably got through the first mile--about 11 mins (there were no mile marks on the race course itself, just some ones we found later on the actual path)...and I started walking. Chris is an enthusiastic and encouraging running buddy, and he started picking out points to run to. "We're running to the third light pole!" "To the green sign! Not the tree! the sign!" He made up songs about running to keep me going. I ran fast when I ran...so fast that even with walking we somehow managed to run the one marked mile in just under 10 mins. The last mile was difficult but we made it...and when we saw the finish, I glanced at my watch. I knew I had a PR in the bag...even my extra goal of a sub 35 min 5K. I looked at the official clock...and sprinted in.

34:37.

2:18 less than my previous best.

Running is getting better. I am getting better at it.

It's about damn time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rudy Martinez said...

BING!!! I think someone's "runner light" is lit for good!!!

Maureen es en fuego!!!

July 06, 2008 8:20 PM  
Blogger sauconRunner said...

It's great to hear how positive you sound about your running these days! Keep up the good work!

July 07, 2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger phdatc said...

God What a wonderful feeling!! I am so happy for you and your success!!

July 08, 2008 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home